RE: King Diamond
Posted by: Don ()
Date: May 25, 2000 03:21PM

Okay, at the risk of pissing someone off (and I'm honestly not trying to), I have just gotta speak up here...

I have never understood how this clown was ever allowed to sing in a band or set foot in a recording studio. I will admit up front that I am no KD expert. But I have heard smatterings of his stuff from numerous KD and Merciful Fate albums. Unless I'm wrong, he seems to pretty much have two distinctly different voices: a fairly low register one, and a ridiculously high register one. There simply doesn't seem to be anything in between. When he's singing in the lower register, to me, it sounds like he's moaning. And I can say in full confidence that I personally find his higher register voice to be the most utterly ludicrous sounding singing that I have ever heard. To me, it straddles the line between laughable and annoying. I have seen Alvin and the Chipmunks mentioned numerous times when reading reviews and articles on KD. And, IMO, the two "singers" (and I use that term lightly) aren't that far apart.

The way I've got it figured, it must have been the satanic image that allowed this guy to be taken seriously. If he hadn't had a gimmick like that (and I'm not suggesting that he wasn't/isn't really into satanism), I can't see how he ever would have been accepted in the metal community. I have nothing against singers with high voices. I consider guys like Geoff Tate, Tony Harnell, Bruce Dickinson (aka Air Raid Siren) and (especially) Rob Halford to be among my all-time favorite metal vocalists. I also like lots of the slightly lighter-weight singers with high voices like Rik Emmett (Triumph), Tony Mills (Shy), Jerome Mazza (Angelica), and Freddy Curci (Alias, Sheriff). And to me, guys like Steve Perry, Hugo, and Kevin Chalfant are absolute vocal gods. But all of these guys could actually SING. It's beyond me how anyone could make the same claim about "the King." I guess it's like I've said on this board so many times - it all comes down to personal taste. What tastes like gourmet to some tastes like a rancid week-old McChicken to others. Still, I'm a curious kind of guy, and I know that some people consider KD to be a vocal genious. I'd like to understand that, but somehow I doubt that I ever will. Oh well, I ain't gonna worry my pretty little head over it...
Don (MooseMan)

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
the satanic king n AOR 186 alfredo 05/24/2000 07:24PM
RE: the satanic king n AOR 129Alex Siedler05/25/2000 05:34AM
RE: the satanic king n AOR 137Kris05/25/2000 05:43AM
RE: King Diamond145 Don 05/25/2000 03:21PM
RE: King Diamond 130Kris05/25/2000 11:44PM
same ol idols, bla bla bla 168 alfredo 05/26/2000 01:46AM
Lame ass Kiss reject 154 F.O.R.D. 05/26/2000 03:23AM
RE: Lame ass Kiss reject 177RockDude05/27/2000 08:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.