Blackout Reviews: Every Mother's Nightmare
Posted by: Johnny Blackout ()
Date: March 21, 2001 09:27AM

Several years back Every Mother's Nightmare released two cool albums of southern, Skid Row-style sleaze rock. I was a bigger fan of the second album "Wake Up Screaming" than the first one which was a little too raw for my taste. "Wake Up Screaming" was a polished, hard-rocking record that drew comparisons to Skid Row's first album mixed with a little southern rock attitude.

That attitude is more pronounced on this release "Smokin' Delta Voodoo" from Perris Records. Only Rick Ruhl remains from the original band, but he still looks the same which is good because the guys were still in their teens when they recorded the s/t debut. (Hit: "Love Will Make You Blind" not my favorite song from them, but their most successful)

Anyway, like most releases from Perris this is pretty raw sounding as well but the production is top notch for a small release such as this. The songs "Push", "Somehow" and "Delta Voodoo" are the highlights, they are the most catchy and melodic tunes on the album and seem to bear the closest relation to tunes off the 2nd album. Unfortunately, the rest of the tunes are VERY similar. I can't tell a lot of the "ok" tunes one from the other. The songs aren't bad, but just not very unique from one another. I think, in terms of tone this reminds me of Skid Row meets Ratt with a southern tinge. The swampy atmosphere of the album lends itself to EMN's twangy image but I think "Smokin Delta Voodoo" could have benefited more from some better guidence in terms of track selection. Three songs in a row can sound like the same one if they are not balanced correctly. Still, Ruhl has a good voice for this type of music and the guitar work is very good from a bunch of unknowns. The drumming is also well in the mix.

The packaging sucks. The cover sucks. Typical Perris records slipshod artwork. These guys need to use the guys that Kivel uses.

All in all, if you like Every Mother's Nightmare, you'll moderately dig this album. But you won't love it. Easily the weakest of the three releases. For some reason, this album DOES sound better in a good car stereo while you are driving. So I reccomend listening to it that way. Still, the main problem is that there is not enough variety. Maybe there are too many tracks as well. I strongly reccomend the ballad "Somehow" though, its very good and the reader of this site will like it a lot. Good orchestration toward the end.

This is what I would call a "burn" album. Take the three or four best tracks and put them on a CD mix. Then sell the CD on Ebay. This is not a bad album, but it is a boring one.

jb

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Blackout Reviews: Every Mother's Nightmare97 Johnny Blackout 03/21/2001 09:27AM
Re: Blackout Reviews: Every Mother's Nightmare 71eph3dzn03/21/2001 03:35PM
Re: Blackout Reviews: Every Mother's Nightmare 61 johnny blackout 03/22/2001 04:18AM
Re: Blackout Reviews: Every Mother's Nightmare 79eph3dzn03/23/2001 08:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.