Blackout reviews: Adrian Gale
Posted by: Johnny Blackout ()
Date: March 21, 2001 09:08AM

Kivel Records has had a pretty good output of melodic rock in the past year and a half, we've had some stellar releases from Attraction, Stone Angel and Tour De Force. Now with Adrian Gale, the company is going for a more straight-ahead, less "gimmicky" approach to melodic rock.

Not strictly "glam" or "AOR" or "sleaze", Adrian Gale is a band that combines the best elements of Van Halen, Harem Scarem and Tesla into a nice mix of straight ahead, american hard rock. (see andrew's review on more detail for comparisons) They are fronted by former Guardian singer Jamie Rowe who has a nice Jeff Keith kind of voice. I don't know why this guy was up for the Ratt job a while back, he sounds nothing like Stephen Pearcy thank god.

The songs are tight and catchy. Reminding me a lot of Tesla's The Great Radio Controversy. For a good example, check out a Tesla song like "Heaven's Trail" or "Party's Over". There's no Love Song type of ballad on this album. The ballads are more along the lines of "Paradise" off of Controversy.

Anyway, most of the songs rock with cocky, almost Danger Danger-ish (Paul Laine) kind of flair. Highlights include "Save Our Love" and "Giving It Up". The main ballad "Just Let Me Love You" has a very nice chorus and I really enjoyed the one "metal" song on the album "Mission Man" Think Lynch Mob meets Danger Danger on that last one. Good screams. The production is top notch. My only complete is that some of the Whoa-Ohs on the tracks seem a little hollow, also the gang vocal "are you readys" on "Feel The Fire" should be amped up a little more for the proper effect.

All in all, a solid release and my favorite Kivel release since Attraction. This is pure hard rock with some awesome guitar work. For fans of Tesla, Harem Scarem's first album and some Danger Danger fans.

Cool cover of Ratt's Walkin' The Dog too for those of you who are curious to hear what a Jamie Rowe fronted Ratt would sound like.

JB

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Blackout reviews: Adrian Gale113 Johnny Blackout 03/21/2001 09:08AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.