Comparisons, Tracks and other WASP discs
Posted by: Benno ()
Date: March 16, 2001 12:34PM

Comparisons of the new album to Idol and Headless are valid, to my ears anyway. If you liked either you'll get something out of this for sure. Loco Motive Man has that Arena of Pleasure vibe and Let It Roar could blend nicely with anything on Headless. Charisma on the other hand sees the band breaking new ground as far as the WASP sound goes, I can't compare it to anything previous - and I have most of the albums. I'm liking this more and more!

You mentioned the two new tracks they put on Best Of The Beast, I don't have that as I have most tracks from the discs anyway and didn't think it worth purchasing. One was the Elton John cover "Saturday night's alright for fighting", but what was the other one? Any good? Have you heard the unreleased material they put on the re-release of the Idol - should've been on the original, fantastic. That comes with a bonus disc as well but unfortunately the quality isn't that great. It was a performance at the Donnington Monstors of Rock commited to disc and wasn't one of Blackie's better days behind the mike - I guess the big venues are harder to get a refined sound out of, particularly being outdoor. Its worth getting all the same.

Everyone mentions the Idol as a classic - and it is, probably in my top 5 of all time - and everyone denotes KFD as a sub-par WASP effort, but most neglect to mention Still Not Black Enough altogether. Anyone else dig it? I was pretty let down I must admit having caned Idol for two years straight, I dove into SNBE knowing it was a sequal or continuation of the Idol concept. But it failed to live up to my expectations. As time has gone by though, I have come to appreciate it as a pretty good disc in its own right, mind you it did take a while.

I don't think I've given KFD the time it deserves, perhaps one day I will.

My opinion on Helldorado is one of fairly mixed emotions. I bought it knowing the rumbles of 'a return to form' going around and didn't have too many expectations since they tend to morph from one to the other. I was stoked just to have a new WASP album though which pumped me up. Despite a couple of stand out tracks, it just seems like the same riff all the way through, almost like they sped up and slowed down the same song 10 times. Its average. Damnation Angel, and probably Helldorado I would have to point out as pretty good, but the rest was run of the mill.

Finally, did anyone catch the web cast of WASP's recent concert, "The Sting"? It was cast free via a web site (can't remember which one now) from the Key Club. Pretty energetic stuff, but then the company who owned the rights to it released the recording as a disc. I don't think it holds up on its own without the performance in front of you, probably a mistake that one. Anyone else dig it?

I'm done now, gone on far too long, apologies for the long post.

Cheers and beers

Benno

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
WASP, nice one! 130 Benno 03/15/2001 01:00PM
Re: WASP, nice one! 93 Daniel 03/15/2001 09:21PM
WASP rules, Helldorado sucked!!! 91 Blackout 03/16/2001 01:26AM
Re: WASP rules, Helldorado sucked!!! 87danthecdman03/16/2001 08:01AM
Comparisons, Tracks and other WASP discs118 Benno 03/16/2001 12:34PM
Re: WASP rules, Helldorado sucked!!! 92 Blackout 03/16/2001 08:53AM
KFD 88 Benno 03/16/2001 12:40PM
Re: KFD 82 Blackout 03/17/2001 02:08AM
Re: KFD 90danthecdman03/17/2001 09:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.