>
> i thought it was very good, but why is it every band has to
> change there sound from when they started. i liked some of
> there eightes stuff but,they had a edge in the 70:"s. its
> funny look at all the bands that changed there sound,here are
> some examples
>
> 1. journey-okay they had to change there sound,but man did
> they have to go complete ballad band!!
> 2.chicago- wow,did they change there sound in there
> history,and man ,did the go soft in the eighties,yikes!!!
> 3. jefferson starship= from cool 60"s band- to we built this
> city,yikes!!!
> 4.heart- to hard rock to these dreams !!!
> and the list goes on, i hope this trend ends, hey i like the
> ballad but, dont change your whole image to stay around!!! cro

The answer to your question is very simple. It is NOT the same band. According to the VH1 special, by the time the "Doobies" split up in 1982, only one original member remained. How could you expect them to sound the same? Though I didn't hear much of the 90's Doobies, it was pretty much the original lineup again, and so the albums sounded like their early stuff, as opposed to the Michael Mc Donald dominated psuedo r & b sound.

As for the other groups you mentioned.....

Terry Kath was the heart and soul of Chicago. Even Robert Lamm admits this now. They should have seriously considered disbanding when he died, and after Cetera left, there was no question they were done.

By the time the "Jefferson Starship" completely wussed out, there was not a single original Airplane member left on board.

Journey's best era will ALWAYS be when both Steve Perry and Greg Rolie were in the band.(Late 70's to 1980) Cain turned them into a cheese ballad machine and the clone singer?? Spare me!

Heart also lost 3 of their original 4 musicians. In order to get a record deal in the mid 80's they had to become a corporate rock hit machine, and Ann & Nancy have recently said that they regretted it. That's why we haven't heard from Heart in 10 years, though the Wilson sisters still perform locally with their side band "The Lovemongers"

In each case, the significant lineup changes altered the music released under the band name , and in each case the change was NOT for the better. Just like with another band we all know and love (and who have finally learned their lesson), Van Halen

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
the doobie brothers-behind the music 112 croman 02/26/2001 02:34PM
Re: the doobie brothers-behind the music108 FORD 02/26/2001 06:01PM
Re: new album 69brent02/26/2001 06:05PM
I like the new CD 75Dave02/27/2001 07:15AM
Re: the doobie brothers-behind the music 75 sfk kurt 02/27/2001 12:59AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.