the hypocrisy of Napster's enemies
Posted by: FORD ()
Date: February 18, 2001 09:19AM

as we all know, it was Metallica, specifically Lars Ulrich who drew national and legal attention to Napster, claiming it took away their ability to control when and where their music was available to the public, specifically the then-unreleased song "I disappear".

If Metallica's own employees or their label, Elektra records, can't stop a song from being leaked, then that is not the fault of Shawn Fanning, nor is it the fault of Napster users. Furthermore, Lars has forgotten how he got his own band signed in the first place.

Make no mistake, if Napster had existed in 1982, Metallica would have used it to spread their demo "No Life Til Leather" internationally. Even with the limits of early 80's technology, it was one of the widest circulations of a demo tape in music history. And it paid off.... They got signed by small indie labels both in the States and Europe and did well enough in those markets to interest Elektra who signed them in 1985. The band also, in the tradition of fellow Bay Area rockers the Grateful Dead, encouraged their fans to bootleg live shows and trade tapes.

Now all of a sudden, today's young "Metallicas" want to use the technology at their disposal to get the word out, and Metallica fans want to trade their rare stuff in a more efficient manner, and suddenly its WRONG?? @!#$ You Lar$.

Would Jerry Garcia have opposed Napster... I don't think so!!

Here's something Lars, the RIAA and the label PIGS don't get....

Napster hurts BOOTLEG sales far more than commercial sales. For years the RIAA has tried to get bootlegging practically made a death penalty offense in order to stop it. I never have been able to understand why, since boots almost never contain material that is otherwise for sale, they hurt neither label or artists' profitability. In any event, since the invention of Napster and high speed internet access, I have not paid for a single bootleg. This is what I use Napster for. Not for the CD's I can buy at any store, but for the rare stuff that would cost me $40 a disc, if I could get it at all. Those stupid greedy fucks should be ENCOURAGING this technology, not hypocritically trying to destroy it..

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Napster thought of the day 103 The Other Joe 02/16/2001 06:49AM
Re: Napster thought of the day 90 Filip Bondy 02/17/2001 06:27AM
the hypocrisy of Napster's enemies87 FORD 02/18/2001 09:19AM
What nonsense 104 Misterpomp 02/18/2001 09:17PM
Re: What nonsense 95 Eric Abrahamsen 02/18/2001 11:36PM
I agree but... 85Surfpunk02/19/2001 06:14AM
Re: I agree but... 98 ddregs 02/20/2001 07:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.