RE: AOR/MHR
Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: April 15, 2000 01:27AM

c dog wrote:
-------------------------------
Can somebody please explain to me why AOR/MHR material is not as popular in the US as it once was?

I'm from the States, and it's comforting to hear that AOR/MHR is still popular overseas, but it's barely holding on here stateside, and it really pisses me off. I hate to generalize, but it seems that the US population seems to go for the "flavor of the day" (i.e. Britney, N' Suck, etc.), because MTV is overloading that crap on our TV's, thereby overloading it on radio as well.

I realize there's still a huge US fanbase for AOR/MHR material (thank God), but why is it that the overseas markets like Japan and Europe support this genre more than the US? I'll bet there are more markets around the world that support AOR/MHR material (let me know- I'm curious!!), but the fact that the US doesn't support this style of music as much doesn't make sense to me.

What it kinda boils down to is the rush to sign everybody in the late 80s based on looks rather than musical talent. Bands that shouldn't have gotten a deal did, and as a result, you had a market overflowing with cds that had a few good songs but a lot of filler material--and the bands couldn't reproduce the success of the 1st cd. In addition, all the bands kinda sounded the same and the originality of bands was less than it had beenseveral years before.

To replace essentially a stagnant scene, the labels decided to clean house and grunge became popular overnight. At that time, it was probably a good idea, but it also buried rock in the minds of the general public into a deep grave from which it is only begininng to show signs of resurfacing.

Journey's 196 Trial By Fire cd sold over a million copies--a fact that was fairly impressive for a band that had been dead for 10 years and DID NOT TOUR TO SUPPORT THE CD!!!! It probably could have sold 2-3x if they had toured, which might have begun to make a dent. It will be interesting to see how well the new cd with Augeri on vox sells since most people associated Perry with the band.

The recent success of Aerosmith though has helped rock also, IMO. You have the teenagers that are appreciating the music and it is only a matter of time for another rock band to capture the imagination of that generation. As they say, "build it and people will come", and I think that applies to this situation. Like 'em or not, the "boy bands" are a LOT closer to melodic rock than anything that has been heard on US radio in the last ten years. The Latin resurgance is also helping to bring rock back, so to speak. Who knows what will happen, but the next 5-10 years will be pretty interesting to see what direction music takes.

Kevin

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
AOR/MHR 378c dog04/14/2000 05:01PM
RE: AOR/MHR 255 Susumu 04/14/2000 07:17PM
RE: AOR/MHR 277CR04/15/2000 05:21PM
RE: AOR/MHR 293John Q04/14/2000 07:50PM
RE: AOR/MHR 250Pretty Boy Floyd04/14/2000 10:18PM
RE: AOR/MHR 278 Alex siedler 04/14/2000 10:36PM
RE: AOR/MHR 306 Susumu 04/14/2000 11:17PM
RE: AOR/MHR241 Kevin 04/15/2000 01:27AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.