AOR/MHR
Posted by: c dog ()
Date: April 14, 2000 05:01PM

Can somebody please explain to me why AOR/MHR material is not as popular in the US as it once was?

I'm from the States, and it's comforting to hear that AOR/MHR is still popular overseas, but it's barely holding on here stateside, and it really pisses me off. I hate to generalize, but it seems that the US population seems to go for the "flavor of the day" (i.e. Britney, N' Suck, etc.), because MTV is overloading that crap on our TV's, thereby overloading it on radio as well.

I realize there's still a huge US fanbase for AOR/MHR material (thank God), but why is it that the overseas markets like Japan and Europe support this genre more than the US? I'll bet there are more markets around the world that support AOR/MHR material (let me know- I'm curious!!), but the fact that the US doesn't support this style of music as much doesn't make sense to me.

Two theories of mine:
A) In regards to Japan: In the mid (to late) '70's, Cheap Trick's "Live at Budokan" was one of the best-selling albums for the band (if not *the* best-selling album). Before that album came out, CT was having a rough time trying to "break the barrier" after several albums, but once the "Budokan" album came out, everybody around the world (including the US) started to take notice, once they realized how much reaction the band was getting overseas. That was the breakthrough they needed- thanks to the Japanese fans.

B) In regards to Europe: In the early '80's, Dokken couldn't get a label deal to save their lives in the US (and they were from Los Angeles- a hotbed of musical talent in the early to mid 80's). Frustrated, the band decided to record and tour in Europe, since they couldn't get the support stateside. As soon as the labels realized that there was a buzz about the band overseas, Elektra picked them up instantly- thanks to the European fans.

Bottom line of my theories: The European and Japanese fans know their shit about music, and the US labels screw around and wait for the "next big thing", while they're watching MTV. I don't understand...

Okay, I'm ranting here, but I would love to know what everybody has to say about this topic.

Sorry about the long post. I'm not trying to make the "Longest Post of the Month" here, but I wanted to make a point.

Thanks.

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
AOR/MHR453c dog04/14/2000 05:01PM
RE: AOR/MHR 284 Susumu 04/14/2000 07:17PM
RE: AOR/MHR 310CR04/15/2000 05:21PM
RE: AOR/MHR 328John Q04/14/2000 07:50PM
RE: AOR/MHR 280Pretty Boy Floyd04/14/2000 10:18PM
RE: AOR/MHR 319 Alex siedler 04/14/2000 10:36PM
RE: AOR/MHR 341 Susumu 04/14/2000 11:17PM
RE: AOR/MHR 272 Kevin 04/15/2000 01:27AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.