Robby Valentine's later CDs
Posted by: Mister Pomp ()
Date: January 08, 2001 06:35AM

I absolutely understand that Robby (and Valensia) will not be to everyone's tastes. They are so overblown, pompous, bombastic, over the top that it is hard sometimes to believe they are not a caricature of themselves - but I love their stuff. Robby's later CDs, "United", "No Sugar Addded" and the new one "Believing is Seeing" are all characterised by a mixture extremely soft ballads but with luscious arrangements and up tempo songs with I don't know how many layers of, usually very high pitched, vocals. This is probably where koogles falls into the adam from Mozart camp more because Adam is most definitely a "rock n roll" singer and both the Vs are, to say the least, effete.
United has a very simple Chritmas ballad that I like, "Christmas in Heaven" with some pretty neat lyrics and a track "I believe in Music" which has a wonderful breakdown section in the middle that is a classical piano style piece. I'm no expert in classical piano but I'd say that Robby can play but also some of his flourishes sound at least as much Liberace as chopin to these untutored ears. All in all it's much more, I think I said it before, overblown than even the first CDs. Every note is wrung out for all the emotion he can find in it...
No Sugar added was I understand mostly old songs tarted up for a new release. "Train against the Grain" shows some unexpected development (good song too) with a very treated vocal sound. "The Sulky Shuffle" is very like Aviary, and a fairly simple ballad "Captain Eagle" which ends it one of my faves.
I've already raved about the newie and I still find it exciting. "What in the World I'm waiting for" does have a Europe-style chorus but taken a million times past what they did and the verse is very old style pomp. "Messenger" is harder edged and more powerful than most of his stuff and he has a girl singer co-singing the leads on this one - excellent. Overall just brilliant. I'd say that now he's more inventive than he was 10 years ago but like I say he's not everyone's cup of tea.
The project with Valensia is strange. A few tracks that sound like Valensia & Valentine - others which sound like ELO or the Beatles a lot of the time. Still very engaging. I'm just like everybody, when I have a favourite artist I tend to let them away with things so I can't honestly tell you whether I'd have liked it if someone else has released it....
I keep meaning to check out Kayak....Eric often raves about them!

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
(to:)Mr Pomp & the R.Valentine issue 106 Ron (Holland) 01/08/2001 04:54AM
RE: Kayak 74 Eric Abrahamsen 01/08/2001 05:05AM
RE: Kayak 70 Dave 01/09/2001 05:13AM
RE: Kayak 77 Eric Abrahamsen 01/09/2001 08:18AM
RE: Kayak 86 Dave 01/10/2001 06:33AM
Robby Valentine's later CDs88 Mister Pomp 01/08/2001 06:35AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.