I just had my @ss kicked...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: January 07, 2001 09:58AM

…by a Santers CD. Yep, that’s right, the 4-CD boxed set I ordered back in early December finally arrived in my mailbox. I basically ordered the set for the “Guitar Alley” CD, although I was also looking forward to getting “Racing Time” and hearing the debut as well. But what I wasn’t expecting, or even thinking about, was the latest Santers album, “Top Secret.” Huge oversight! Holy Moses, this album is a corker!!! I don’t think Rick’s voice ever sounded better. For those of you who are not familiar with Santers’ music, Rick’s voice is sort of a Carl Dixon (Coney Hatch)/Lou Gramm (Foreigner) hybrid with some Brian Howe (Bad Company) and Tony Lewis (The Outfield) thrown in. It’s crystal clear and it soars, especially on this album. And then there’s the SONGS!! Well, lyrically, nobody’s ever gonna confuse these guys with Rush, and musically, no one’s ever gonna mistake this album for a Dream Theatre creation. But if ultra-melodic, super-catchy AOR/MHR is your thing, then you HAVE to hear this album! The hooks on this album are big enough to effortlessly land Moby Dick himself. There’s 10 in all, and not a dud in the batch. In fact, in AOR/MHR’s heyday, I could see virtually every track from this album becoming a single and receiving airplay. “Come and Get It” as a superb lead-off track, and there’s HUGE potential in “Love Back Guarantee” and the ballad “Dry Your Eyes” as well. But my fave track, hands-down, has got to be “Leigh Ann.” Talk about classy! Wow! The entire price of the boxed set was pretty much worth it for this track alone. I can’t think of a single album from ’98 (the year that this gem was released) that could touch this one as my fave album from that year. My only regret is that I let two years pass before I got it. Okay, enough ranting. Bottom line: This is surely destined to make it onto my “Fave AOR/MHR Albums of All-Time” list. Buy or die!!
Don

p.s. – I would LOVE to hear what other people think of this album. I am utterly shocked and dumbfounded at the fact that it hasn’t been raved about more often (ever?!).

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
I just had my @ss kicked...111 Don 01/07/2001 09:58AM
RE: I just had my @ss kicked... 79 Tom Krupa 01/07/2001 10:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.