RE: More bands to check out...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: January 07, 2001 10:47AM

Hi Popefreak,

I just read your post and thought I'd add to Rob's list. As far as modern music goes, here are a few suggetions:

Tragically Hip - Pretty much anything. I'd like to state up front that I am NOT a big TH fan. But the rest of the country seems to adore them, and they're considered by many to be our best kept secret, so you might wanna give 'em a try. In fact, many Canadians are confused or even bewildered at the fact that this band hasn't exploded (or at least caught on) south of the border.

Tea Party - The critics love this band. Picture a modern day; Led Zep/Doors hybrid with a strong Middle East influence. I know it sounds nuts, but it works. They just released a best-of anthology in December, so you'll probably find this one on sale everywhere for a good price.

Moist - I just love this band. "Creature" is my favorite album. It's very melodic, but there are some grunge influences. I hope that won't scare you off, though, 'cuz Alice in Chains this ain't!! Passionate vocals throughout. Their newst one (can't remember the title, but it contains the track "Breathe") is much smoother. In fact, "Breathe" sounds, to me, a lot like Pink Floyd.

As for older AOR/MHR, read my Santers post above this one. Also, track down (at all costs) the "Over 60 Minutes With Prism" anthology. Let's see, what else? If you can find it, get your hands on Brighton Rock's "Take a Deep Breath" (picture a cross between Harem Scarem and Def Lep and you have an idea of where they are sound-wise). And if you don't have 'em already, you NEED the first two Harem Scarem albums in your collection. I would also recommend Honeymoon Suite (anything, it doesn't matter which one 'cuz they're all good). What else? Coney Hatch's best-of compilation entitled "Best of Three," and Helix's g/h compilation called "Over 60 Minutes With Helix.," if you like April Wine, there are two good compilations in that series ("Over 60 Minutes With") as well: "The Hits" and "The Rockers." If you enjoy female-fronted rock, you've gotta check out three of the best: Lee Aaron, Toronto, and the legendary Headpins (featuring Darby Mills). Oh, and the Killer Dwarfs' "Big Deal" is an essential part of any MHR collector's collection, IMO. Their "Dirty Weapons" album is great too. You'll never find a copy of their ultra-rare "Stand Tall" album, so don't get your hopes up. If you dig Frozen Ghost or are interested in giving 'em a try, just let me know. I have LOTS of copies of their CDs that I've picked up in used shops. And speaking of used shops, I'd recommend that you spend as much of your shopping time in pawn shops as you do in music stores. From my experience, there are as many or more gems to be found in amongst the other stuff in pawn shops as there is in music stores. I find lots of out-of-print and rare stuff that way, and it's all priced at around $5 Canadian. The shop owners have NO IDEA as to which CDs are collectable. Everything sells for the same low price. Plus, if you wind up buying an armload (like I usually do), they'll often sell 'em even cheaper!

I could go on and on, but I don't think I will unless I can get a better idea of what you like, what you don't like, and how much/what kind of Canuck music you have. Hope this has been at least somewhat helpful.
Cheers.
Don (MooseMan)

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Hail Canada! help please. 147 Popefreak 01/07/2001 08:28AM
RE: Bands to check out! 129Rob01/07/2001 09:23AM
RE: More bands to check out...106 Don 01/07/2001 10:47AM
RE: Don.... 110-Rob01/07/2001 01:47PM
Tragically Hip 130 Big Bow Wow 01/07/2001 10:59PM
RE: More bands to check out... 122Rocker Dave01/07/2001 02:57PM
RE: More bands to check out... 100Rocker Dave01/07/2001 03:11PM
RE: Sounds good. Where? 100 Popefreak 01/09/2001 10:01AM
YES, that's the right Treble Charger cd (Np) 103 -Rob 01/09/2001 10:04AM
RE: Thanks Rob 104 Popefreak 01/09/2001 01:49PM
Penny Black. Anyone??? 115 Big Bow Wow 01/07/2001 11:03PM
RE: Penny Black/More info., please... 124 Don 01/08/2001 06:33PM
RE: Penny Black/More info., please... 117 Copious K9 01/09/2001 01:52AM
RE: Believe it or not... 109 Don 01/09/2001 06:28AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.