RE: Hey, thanks...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: May 12, 2000 02:42AM

"BTW, Don, I never got a chance to thank you for steering me toward Harem Scarem's "Karma Cleansing" and Dr. Rock and the Wild Bunch. I'm really diggin' these! ;-D "

Hey, hey, hey R.C.!!

Good to hear from ya again, and I can't tell you how happy I am that you're diggin' those two albums. Although I'm sure it's already happened, I hate the idea of turning someone onto something that winds up being a disappointment. Money is just too hard-earned and hard to come by (at least for me) to waste it on stuff that's sub-standard. Know what I mean? Then again, it all comes down to personal taste, and I am well aware of the fact that what drives one person crazy (a thick, juicy steak) can do absolutely nothing for another person (like, for example, a tofu-eating vegetarian).

Anyhow, I still view the Doctor Rock album as being the closest thing I've ever heard to Harem Scarem's "Mood Swings Volume 2." I don't like it as much as I like "MS," but to these ears, it just sounds like a fairly logical extension of the "MS" material. And I honestly believe that it's the closest thing that fans of the "MS" album are ever gonna get to "MS2." As for "Kharma Cleansing," all I can say is that for me that album was a REALLY pleasant surprise. "Voice of Reason" did nothing for me at all (except disgust and frustrate me), and I honestly thought that this band had totally lost it. And then I heard "KC," and all was alright in the world again. It does have a darker sound than either of HS's first two albums, but it's still very catchy and melodic, IMO. The only song that I consider filler is the title track. But stuff like "Die off Hard," "Hail, Hail" (+ a couple other tracks whose titles elude me at the moment) and the absolutely drop-dead gorgeous ballad, "Rain" represent, at least to me, some of HS's finest moments.

In wrapping this novel up, let me just say that you are very welcome. But believe me, there's no need for you to be thanking me in the first place. I have just been so fortunate, so incredibly blessed since discovering this board. I am not kidding, the quality of my AOR/MHR collection has increased/improved by about 400 percent (mind you, my credit card isn't so happy, LOL!!). And I totally give all of the credit to all of the wonderful people who've steered me in the right direction, time after time after time (and to Andrew for providing this wonderful forum for us to share ideas, thoughts, and opinions). Take care, and rock on, R.C.
Don

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
New Obsessions! ;-) 276 Rocker Chic 05/09/2000 12:45PM
RE: Hey, thanks...154 Don 05/12/2000 02:42AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.