-U-F-O- The Salentino Cuts
Posted by: Scott ()
Date: September 30, 2017 06:40PM

As a long time UFO fan, largely disappointed with the sound of recent records (ACOS aside), I was very sceptical when I heard they were doing a album of covers. Rarely are those records any good. Often iconic songs so engrained in you psychy that you can't get passed "new versions".
It's a fine line, do you copy the original, take it somewhere totally new or just put "your" stamp on it?

Well I'm pleasantly surprised by SALENTINO CUTS.

First thing; it perhaps the best the band have sounded since WALK ON WATER (again ACOS aside...that was excellent). The mixes on this do vary a little to suit certain songs, but overall there's a return to a bigger, more hard rock and more ambient live sound (reverbs on the vocals and drums given it some depth). Gone are the awful "dry" vocal mixes that Tommy Newton seemed to like (which ruined several albums for me). At times this almost has a Nevison-like sound. You can't help but feel if Monkey Puzzle, Visitor and Severn Deadly had a mix like this, those records would have a whole different vibe.

Mogg's vocal range has lowered, but he uses what his natural well and to good affect. But he does push himself here and there, and he's clearly still got a great and unique voice.. Another positive is the band has not chosen 12 "obvious" usual suspects songs. There's a couple, but there's some left of centre choices too. It IS record that needs a few repeat spins, but I've had this 10 days and I've played it more than any of the aforementioned (above) studio records!! The band sounds immense of Rock Candy and Just Got Paid. But The Doors "Break On Through" and Moutains "Mississippi Queen" aren't so appealing to me. The interesting two are Bill Withers Ain't No Sunshine and The Animals It's My Life. Both show a different side to the band and Moggs vocals (a bit $ign Of 4 like)

So props to the band who produced it with mixes by Tsangarides, it's worth giving a chance. Just crank it up and enjoy it for what it is..UFO's spin on some classics

If there is one more studio album in these guys, I hope they produce and mix it like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2017 06:41PM by Scott.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
-U-F-O- The Salentino Cuts1453 Scott 09/30/2017 06:40PM
Re: -U-F-O- The Salentino Cuts 259 Marco 09/30/2017 10:44PM
Re: -U-F-O- The Salentino Cuts 239 Lynchomaniac 10/01/2017 12:12AM
Re: -U-F-O- The Salentino Cuts 183 Hustler 10/01/2017 03:18AM
Re: -U-F-O- The Salentino Cuts 162 Scott 10/01/2017 04:52AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.