RE: Well...
Posted by: Phil ()
Date: January 03, 2001 02:27AM

Hi Tony,

You completely missed my point. What I was (obviously unsuccessfully) trying to say is why would I volunteer to review, say, the new Stratovarius album when I don't even like the band but there are a few people who write for the same magazine who do. I wouldn't be as qualified as they are to review it because I've never made much effort to try to get into them and don't know enough about them. Any fan of the band would see through me in a second.

The point I was trying to make was that the likes of Kerrang get a death-metal dude to review an AOR album because the review would be a big laugh to all the AOR haters on the staff who want to ridicule the music as much as possible. If there was a new Poison album and a new Liquid Tension Experiment album to review, what would be the point of me reviewing the Poison and Kieran reviewing LTE (although I did do the new Firehouse CD!)?

Different people like different things so it would be stupid to volunteer something because you hate it so much that the review might be funny to other people who also hate the band. Reviews are supposed to be informative to the fans of that band or someone who may be curious about it.

I know the Melodica review caused a bit of a stir, and I'm sure Nicky Baldrian will stand by his comments, but several people have told me thay bought the CD based on his review and will now never buy the magazine again. I know that's a slightly different point but Andrew also didn't mention the out-of-tune vocals in his review so maybe they don't hear the same things I do.

I was in no way insinuating that I would give a band a good review because we sell advertising space to their label or they'd put money into the cover disc. God knows there's enough of that kind of thing goes on already. If I'm given something to review that I really dislike then I'll say so, but if it's in a style that doesn't appeal to me then I'd rather give it to someone who'll be more familiar with the genre.

Happy New year,
Phil

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Takin' the PISS of those SO CALLED reliable ... 146 Melodic Lover ( SPAIN) 12/30/2000 08:24AM
Well... 126 Andrew 12/30/2000 08:38AM
RE: Well... 109 Ron (Holland) 12/30/2000 08:20PM
RE: Well... 108 Phil 12/31/2000 10:34PM
RE: Well.To Phill 121 Ron (Holland) 01/02/2001 05:40AM
RE: Well... 99Tony M01/02/2001 08:53PM
RE: Well... 107 Peter M. Bietenholz 01/02/2001 09:36PM
RE: Well...114 Phil 01/03/2001 02:27AM
RE: Well said Phil !!!! 114 Melodic Lover ( SPAIN) 01/03/2001 07:01AM
RE: Takin' the PISS of those SO CALLED reliable .. 114 koogles 12/31/2000 01:53AM
RE: Takin' the PISS of those SO CALLED reliable .. 110 sfk kurt 12/31/2000 03:19AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.