Duran Duran
Posted by: Mister Pomp ()
Date: December 28, 2000 03:21AM

.. and others.

Howard Jones was actually a "reformed" prog rocker. I thought his stuff was more than mildly diverting - I actually went to see him once and he was very good. It doesn't take much twisting to see that the multi layer keys on his first UK single "New Song" would have made a nice pomp keyboard solo. Nik Kershaw was an AOR songwriter being fitted into something else, Frankie Goes to Hollywood were little more than puppets for Trevor Horn's pomp ambitions - shame about the image, Yazoo had some well written stuff but I wouldn't rate them as high, Morten Harket of A-ha had (has?) a great voice. That swooping in the track "Hunting High and Low" - excellent. I saw them live as well, at the behest of a girlfriend, and they weren't exactly the Sabs but they certainly weren't Boyzone either - the guitarist Pal? Mags? certainly wanted to do something chunkier it seemed. I can't think that I'll think that well of the pop music of today in 15-20 years. I always liked Duran Duran, still do. I think Rio and the non-album single "Is there something I should know" are great. Yes - they'd have benefitted, IMPO, fro a little push in a rock direction but just listen to the intro to the track Rio and tell me that isn't as exciting as any other bit of "rock" instrumentation ... at least it just doesn't go widdle-diddle-widdle as fast as it can like most hard rock guitar instrumental breaks... Duran Duran now are a very sophisticated rock band who certainly here don't get the attention they deserve because off model marriages / yachting disasters / atrocious hair styles 15 years ago etc etc. Warren whasisface has really kept the thing going strong and in a new direction. Other non-melodic rock stuff I like / liked .. Suzanne Vega, beautiful phrasing in her sining, Waterboys, great live performers, Everything but the Girl, James Taylor (now there is a singer ... I love that One Man Dog LP)...

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
SFK Kurt and 80's Pop? 123 Eric Abrahamsen 12/28/2000 12:45AM
RE: SFK Kurt and 80's Pop? 93 sfk kurt 12/28/2000 01:32AM
RE: Kate Bush,10cc,Lonestar..... 101 Lil Al 12/28/2000 01:48AM
RE: Kate Bush,10cc,Lonestar..... 75 Carl 12/28/2000 10:07AM
RE: SFK Kurt and 80's Pop? 88 Eric Abrahamsen 12/28/2000 04:54AM
Duran Duran101 Mister Pomp 12/28/2000 03:21AM
RE: Duran Duran 103 Eric Abrahamsen 12/28/2000 04:50AM
RE: Duran Duran 90 Carl 12/28/2000 10:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.