RE: Well why don't we do something about it?
Posted by: Eric Abrahamsen ()
Date: December 28, 2000 08:52AM

Unless the Artist is pulling in huge numbers for a company, They / Him / Her really has little or no say in marketing strategies. "Never Bite the Hand that Feeds" so they say. I am in complete agreement with you though, and to qoute Andrew in an earlier thread "it's only going to get worse". They Pay the bills (the labels)- they make the choices.

A lot of people just don't understand that Labels-at least major labels, are no longer about Music. Too many consumers (i.e. those in the US dying for the new Journey disc case in point), act as if each new release by thier favourite artist is Manna from Heaven, and grovel for anything given to them. And refering to the "Brilliant Marketing" of again, the new Journey CD, by cutting off imports of the CD into the US, earlier this year, plays right into the big boys hands. This isn't brilliance- this is greed, and shows zero respect for the intelligence of the "Real" music fan.

Apart from the knowlegable people on this board, and genuine music fans, I fear the worse is yet to come, as the public continues to buy into corporate B.S. Related to this and the Public mentality- I was at a Christmas party last Friday, and a group of people were talking about Faith Hill, Brittney, and others. They were all talking about how wonderful it was that Brittney making so much money. "How does she do it!?" was one comment I heard. One of the other people commented how great it was her Son got a free Brittney Spears Poster after buying TWO of her CD's. After that I walked away. There was nothing more I could do, or say.

I don't want to appear elitist, and those on the board who know me, understand my point. Buy, buy buy-just because! Never mind the quality, or marketing behind it. This needs to change. If a boycott is what it takes....

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
And the screwing continues... 130 Peter M. Bietenholz 12/28/2000 12:14AM
RE: And the screwing continues... 92Dave12/28/2000 12:38AM
RE: And the screwing continues... 87 Andrew 12/28/2000 06:23AM
RE: And the screwing continues... 106 Kieran 12/28/2000 06:59AM
Well why don't we do something about it? 105 Mister Pomp 12/28/2000 07:57AM
RE: Well why don't we do something about it?113 Eric Abrahamsen 12/28/2000 08:52AM
Britney Spears Poster? Hmmm 99Kris12/28/2000 12:24PM
RE: Britney Spears Poster? Hmmm 83 Eric Abrahamsen 12/28/2000 01:33PM
RE: Britney Spears Poster? Hmmm 92Kris12/28/2000 01:35PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.