Got to agree ... but how long ago?
Posted by: Mister Pomp ()
Date: December 24, 2000 07:50PM

Schenker continues to be my fave guitar player of all time. Everything he did for 10+ years was awesome, but since then it's been a succession of increasingly uninteresting and unimportant albums with increasingly 2nd rate players. Forme, although I know many disagree, that starts with losing Barden and Bonnett on vocals. Even back then Schenkr picked some rum running mates - anybody ever see Ray Kennedy fail to hit a single note live in Tokyo 84? But I still love his riffs and his lead work from Phenomenon through to Built to Destroy. He's one of the few guitarists who can make enough modulation in his lead work to solo over a single chord and doesn't need the colour of a chord change or two. Awesome. But really, 15 years without anything important? That equals finished doesn't it? I thought UFO live 95 were awesome but the new album feels rushed and unfinished. That said I thought Schenker's contribtion to both WoW and Covenant were minimal, he seemed to save his effort for his annoyingly crap solo stuff. As for his obsession with extracting money out of his ever-decreasing fanbase, well we don't have to buy it so it's fair enough but above all Schenker shows little respect for the talent he was given by slewing them out as fast as he can ... the video the making of the album .. part 2 indeed! The only problem is that the legend is sullied by all this - his call after all he's the legend but it's definitely better to burn out than fade away like this ....

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Schenker blew it! 123 Lynchbox 12/24/2000 01:04AM
Got to agree ... but how long ago?108 Mister Pomp 12/24/2000 07:50PM
RE: Got to agree ... but how long ago? 103Peter M. Bietenholz12/24/2000 11:00PM
No - you're right 113 Mister Pomp 12/24/2000 11:27PM
RE: No - you're right 104Peter M. Bietenholz12/26/2000 03:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.