Russia etc
Posted by: StephenBAllen ()
Date: December 17, 2000 07:07PM

Hi Koogles

I have to agree that occassionally both Robbie V and Valensia sound almost like a caricature of pomp but I have listened to little else new except these two for the last 6 months ... the Flys are embroiled in some legal dispute I believe and have gone to ground, Adam (and some of the other members) have a CD out as "The Millionaire's Club" (I think) which I understand is all covers in the style of Mozart's Cole Porter stuff (I get a Kick out of You, Miss Otis Regrets etc). Great I'm sure although I haven't heard it, but no substitute for "new" Mozart music. Somebody closeto the band told me a couple of months back there were negotiations ongoing for more Mozart. I don't know whether it was new recording or some of the whole stack of unreleased and demo stuff that I already have (which would be awesome if found in good sound quality - an acoustic!! version of Speed Train is among the gems which must be heard to be believed).... Adam might be my choice overall but there's reallylittle to choose IMPO between the three of them, I'm just grateful that the Japanese have enough taste to have allowed an outlet for some decent music... mind you if we're talking about people of talent wasting their time .. Lande in Malmsteen?!? Bring back Vagabond I say ...

I've got Seeing is Believing on the way but if you haven't heard Valensia Gaia II - you really must get a copy, there are some unbelievable tracks on there "Mayke & Veronique" is a classic and overall the sound is a mixture of the best bits of Gaia and K.O.S.M.O.S. Valensia took me some time to get into, I had a tape of him a few years back and dismissed it as too lightweight but whether I'm mellowing or I made a mistake or just didn't take time to listen properly.. he really does make some wonderful music and I prefer him on balance to Robbie V. I saw somebody say Robbie V 's new one wasn't as good as his first two which surprised me because the first 2 are not his best IMPO. 4 United and No Sugar Added are his strongest with those great harmonies really layered to the max for full effect. I've just got the collaboration album and am trying to get into it, I'm surprised how poppy on first listen it is, more ELO than Queen (not that that's a bad thing - just a surprise).

Russia. No - no CD. But it should be shouldn't it. There is also a non-LP 45 by these guys that I've never even heard but was between the Russia and Force Ten albums.. it's called "Shot Down over Indiana", somebody drop me a line if you've got one? Some chance. Russia's one of the three great pomp albums of all time along with Trillion's second and my beloved Aviary. Need to make room for Touch as well. Not sure where the modern pompers mentioned above fit in, when music's this good it's not right to choose best ... I'd also include Kevin Gilbert as a like spirit and Matthew D Guarnere whose failure to release an album yet is driving me crazy. When this comes out, if it's anything like his demos - we'll all sit back and be impressed.

There is much more pomp out there than you'd imagine .. still turning up LPs of merit. Worlds from CA. who sounded a little like World Trade (probably better songs), Lifer from Indiana who are a bit more dated but some great instrumental work and keys, Steelback from Canada whose stuff is more in the Coney Hatch vein but do a Foot in Coldwater cover and have 1 song that's very much in the vein of Visitor - heavy pomp with keys and that's just this week's arrivals ... still loads to find... if you're interested - always feel free to mail me - we can talk pomp ...

Sorry - I've taken up more time than I intended - can't imagine anybody much got this far down the post anyway .. I failed to mention any of the bands that get people overexcited! I'm so not interested in the House of Lords reforming .. sorry.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Valensia 160 StephenBAllen 12/16/2000 10:11PM
Adamant about Adam 128 koogles 12/17/2000 05:17AM
Russia etc139 StephenBAllen 12/17/2000 07:07PM
RE: Valensia 136Gemstone12/25/2000 01:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.